Tuesday, August 16, 2011

4th Place with 17' in Kentucky... OUCH

Wow, never did I think I would go down to the Jammin' and Jumpin' Street Vault and only jump 17 feet... After all the great practices I've been having, it was really upsetting to jump what I did my junior year in high school. I hate to blame my poor performance on anything other than my own bad mechanics, but 17' was also the winning height for the men. Darren Niedermeyer, Mark Hollis, and I all jumped 17' and couldn't understand why. (Mary Saxer won the competition with the height difference handicap). Darren was the only vaulter who actually said he felt great that day. All of the other vaulters, including myself, kept asking each other and ourselves why we didn't feel good at all. Everyone felt pretty good on the runway (a little slow) but then when we hit the box, we got yanked off the ground and came up short. That right there makes me think that it was a shallow box. It's the only thing that makes sense. And niedermeyer is just enough of a beast, that it didn't affect him, ha. But one of the meet directors claimed it wasn't shallow. So who knows, but a bunch of us guys should've been over 17' and several over 17'6". I was on a 5m 14.9 flex pole the whole meet, holding down about a fist lower than my normal grip on that pole. If you remember, a few posts ago, I told you I was jumping on 5m 14.5 pole from 14 steps!! Granted, that runway we have set up is slightly downhill, it still doesn't make sense. I felt great on the runway from 18 steps but just could not get a good take off to save my life. I'm definitely not saying that it wasn't my fault, it very well could have been me just defaulting back to my bad technique from high school, like I do from time to time. But the fact that nearly everyone jumped a lot lower than they typically do, I don't want to blame myself, haha. All I can do is move on and use the little bit of prize money that I profited to put in my savings account until the next trip. Not sure when my next meet will be, but we'll see and I'll keep you posted. I want to give a shout out to Mark Hollis and say good luck at the World Championships!! I think he leaves this week and I'm really excited for him! Go get 'em Mark! And good luck to Derek Miles and Jeremy Scott at Worlds as well!
P.S. here are some photos from the trip:

What an awesome bear huh?! haha


Julia was actually the first one who wanted a picture haha


Just a great sign...


Double Rainbowwww!!!



It was a gorgeous sunset on the way there!


THE BEST CHICKEN PLACE EVER. Originated in Georgia, nuff said.


Zaxby's buffalo chicken fingers. I've been to Zaxby's around 439 times and ordered these 436 of those times.


My hair for the meet


My hair for the meet


Jammin'


Jumpin'


2 comments:

  1. Although I find myself reading your blog constantly I have yet to post a comment until today; keep up the hard work Jordan! It seems from your recent practice posts that your knocking on the door to hit a big jump at a meet! Just remember by this time next year you'll be in London! (hopefully without all the rioting) Keep up that drive and hard work and especially this blog it's exciting to read, I'm willing to bet that more people read your blog than you think but are like myself and haven't said anything (until today obviously) but it is something I actually look
    forward to getting on Facebook now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's awesome man! I really appreciate hearing that and I hope you're right! I've felt so close to jumping really high lately, but of course it never happens quite like you plan it, ha. I hope you're doing well! What are you doin now anyway?

    ReplyDelete