Friday, December 2, 2011

USATF Annual Convention

I'm here at the 2011 USATF Annual Convention in St. Louis and havin a great time. I don't know why every athlete who's able to get funded doesn't come to these things. I've been the biggest sponge here so far and even spoke up in a few of the meetings so far. I arrived on Wednesday and leave on Sunday. And since I drove, I'll get reimbursed for my gas money, and THEN some. Mostly, these conventions are like stockholder's meetings. Athletes, Coaches, Officials, Agents, Sponsors, Meet Directors, USATF Boardmembers, and other entities come together to vote on rules, legislation, proposed competitions, you name it. This is where all of those decisions are made and so far, we're making good progress. Athletes of the Athlete Advisory Committee (AAC) are making a stand for the ability to have multiple sponsor's logos on jerseys. The current "guideline" that is being enforced at domestic, sanctioned competitions is that only one logo can be present on an athletes' body a certain number of places, yada yada yada... The USATF was actually just trying to follow the rules of the IAAF, which isn't necessary. Long story short, there's a resolution proposal that is going to change this being voted on in a meeting Sunday morning. Yes, I will be present and yes, I am passionate and excited about it. I'll let you know how it goes and I promise more updates are coming your way about my recent training! From St. Louis, Good night!

2 comments:

  1. JORDAN! Thanks so much for the insight. One reason why I think some of the older funded athletes dont go to the Annual meeting is because it has been very frustrating in the past and not seeing things change has been a bit disappointing. But your right, we all should be there... I am just not an athlete that handles that kind of stress very well so I have removed myself from the situation until Im retired, then I will definately fight for you! And all who come after... Thanks for the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense April! I don't blame you at all. Hartwig said they've gotten a lot better over the years. I'm gettin free food, a sweet hotel room, a few gifts, and a chance to rub shoulders and shake hands with important people of this sport so it's just been an awesome experience for me. There are over 130 athletes here, i believe, more than ever before. And we've been making differences. I'm probably just having a lucky, first experience! Fine by me, haha! Hope training is going well for you and i'll see ya soon i'm sure!

    ReplyDelete