Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Tentative Competition Schedule

Happy New Year loyal fan! This year is going to be the best year in my pole vaulting career. I hope all of you are as excited as I am about everything this year has in store. Training has been going really well the last few weeks and I'm excited to compete this weekend! My first meet is this coming Saturday, January 7th here in Lawrence, Kansas at our newly re-surfaced facility. I was out of town from the 20th through the 27th to visit my family in Georgia. It was a great holiday and I always realize how much I miss them when I visit. Julia spent the holidays with her family here in Kansas this year and had a great time with her sisters. After I got back in town last Tuesday, I worked out the travel day on Wednesday and had a great vault session on Thursday. It was the best vault practice from 14 steps I've had so far this year. Coach and I were very pleased about it, as I was finally able to get a fluid, powerful take-off from 14 steps and moved through quite a few bigger poles. I ended up on a 5m - 15.3 flex pole, gripping 4.75m, and getting over a bungee at 5.50m. It was a good rhythmic practice and I felt really solid on my run. I still have a brazillion things I wanna work on so I'm definitely not satisfied, but things are definitely headed in the right direction! So as I was saying, my first competition is in 6 days from now and I am really excited. I'm not expecting much since it is the first meet of the indoor season, but as every athlete, we're always anxious, nervous, and excited about our first meets. Are we gonna set a high standard from the get-go and send our confidence up on a rocket? Or are we going to realize how much work we still have to do to prepare for the rest of the season? It's always a toss-up, but I feel pretty confident about being more consistent this season. I feel like now I have the experience of a veteran athlete in the professional vaulting scene, at least on a domestic level. Vaulting overseas is still an unforeseen adventure waiting on me, but I'm confident I can take on any competition on any level in this country. I have a few meets on my schedule at the moment and I wanted to share them with you. Nothing is set in stone and things could change entirely, but as of now, here is my plan for meets for the indoor season:

January 7 - Home Meet @ KU
January 20,21 - Pole Vault Summit @ Reno, Nevada
January 27 - Jayhawk Invitational @ KU
February 3,4 - New Balance Collegiate Invitational @ New York, New York
February 10,11 - Tyson Invitational @ University of Arkansas
February 25,26 - US Indoor Championships @ Albuquerque, New Mexico
March 9-11 - Indoor World Championships @ Istanbul, Turkey

Wish me luck this weekend! I think I'll be jumping from 14 steps still but moving back to 18 steps is a possibility. I'll be sure to post a meet update after the competition. I hope all of you athletes set some high goals for 2012. Always aim high, but stay in touch with reality. I've always set abnormally high goals, but how else are you going to achieve true greatness if you aren't always striving for something that no one else dares to think you can achieve. Do your best and never settle. Have a wonderful New Year and go get your goals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment