Friday, January 13, 2012

5.41m - 17' 9" at Wichita State

Height: 5.41m or 17' 9"
Approach: 18 steps
Pole: 5m - 14.1
Place: 2nd

This week was WAYYY better than last week... I gotta admit, I was a little worried about my performance last weekend, but I feel much better after jumping 14 inches higher yesterday. It was my first meet from my long run (18 steps) and I got on the biggest pole I've ever gotten on indoors - 5m - 13.7 (205lb). I jumped my PR of 5.71m/18'8.75 on that pole, as well as 5.70m/18'8.25" this past summer. So basically it's my money pole. I jumped on it confidently, which was a great accomplishment for me, mentally. This year has been great so far in all aspects, and it's only 2 meets old! I opened up the meet on Thursday at 5.06m/16'7.25" and cleared it first attempt, then cleared 5.21m/17'1" on either my first or second attempt, I forgot, ha. Jack Whitt opened up at this height and cleared it with ease. The bar then raised to 5.31m/17'5" and Jack passed. I cleared it on my first attempt I believe. Next, we go to 5.41m/17'9" and I cleared it either first or second... I need to write this stuff down right away, my memory is just sad... Anyway, Jack and I both clear it and we move to 5.51m/18'1" to attempt a new facility and meet record. It is also an important bar for me as 5.50m/18'0.5" is the qualifying bar for the US Indoor Championships in February. I'm still ahead of Jack at this point of the meet and I'm up first. I blew right through my 5m - 14.1 and grabbed my 13.7 for the next jump. Jack misses... I take my 2nd attempt and barrrrely nicked the bar on the backside and it falls as I hit the mats. Jack misses again, too. This is it, my last jump of the competition unless I step it up and clean up my jump. I bolt down the runway and do the exact same thing... Hit the bar with my chest on my descent. And Jack comes down and cleared it smoothly for the win. Oh well, I guess I won't have an undefeated season, haha. I was extremely happy for my progress, especially in less than a week. My first practice at my long run was on Tuesday but yesterday felt like I never stopped for an off-season. It was fantastic. And I got on massive poles and had plenty of height over 5.51m, which is great this early in the year, with my rough, early-season technique. Jack put together a great video of us jumping yesterday which I will put at the bottom of this post. I can't wait for the Pole Vault Summit in Reno, Nevada next week! I hope all of you are either going this year, or have a chance to go at least once in your life. It's an incredible event with more pole vaulting energy than anywhere else in the world. I vault next Friday, I believe. I worked all day today on an intro video of myself that the Summit asked all of the elite vaulters to do for them. I'm no video-editor, but I think it turned out pretty sweet! I'll post it on here after it gets posted on the UCS Spirit Pole Vault Summit website.

No comments:

Post a Comment