Tuesday, January 3, 2012

All I Wanna Do Is Sleep

Sleep is so unbelievable important in my sport. Sometimes I take for granted the opportunities I have in front of me and the amount of time I have to get a good night's sleep. Of course I celebrated New Year's Eve with some champaign and not going to bed until 1am or so, but I figured waking up after 10am like I did would've given me the amount of rest I needed to stay on track. Wrong. At times like these, when I'm at work (bored) and had a ridiculously hard time getting out of bed, I remember how important it is to stay on a sleeping schedule. My body definitely needs one nowadays. I mean, by no means am I old, but I used to be able to sleep just a few hours a night and train just fine, but it wasn't until I found the value of sleep when my training capacity increased by leaps and bounds. Sunday night I got about 8 hours of sleep and last night I got 7... it may seem like a normal, if not substantial amount of sleep for you, but my body needs more than that to function at 100%. I need at least 8-9 hours of sleep to feel rested and ready to take on the world. Today is a vaulting day and I absolutely, with all my might, disgustingly HATE not feeling 100% on a vault day. I'm pretty upset with myself for not getting enough rest lately because having good vault sessions is key to one's confidence on a pole. I need these vault sessions to count, especially since we only vault twice a week. Over the holidays I couldn't vault for a week and a half and I've only had two vault sessions in the past 3 weeks! I like to take full advantage of ALL of my few vaulting opportunities. Advice to all: If you want to be successful, treat your body like the machine that it is... There is no excuse for not fueling and refueling and maintaining it as a finely-tuned piece of equipment. It's the only one you'll have so keep it running smoothly!
I failed at this for most of my life, so don't make the same mistakes I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment